Monday, July 9, 2012

So many things to think about...

I'm a loooong time teacher and at this point in my teaching life am a K-2 Literacy Coach.  I have been teaching in first and second grades for the past two years. This year I am moving to K!  I am going to be co-teaching during the literacy block with another teacher.  I'm really excited to be working with Amy and getting to focus on K.  I've been re-reading Literacy Beginnings by Fountas & Pinnell.  There are so many pieces to think about when planning ways to provide opportunities for young children to grow as readers, writers, and thinkers.  Of course I live in New York where we are incorporating the Common Core as well.  One place I am really focusing is language learning.  Tony Johnston's book Opening Minds is helping me think about the power of language; both ours as teachers and our students'. With that in mind, I'm really thinking about how we organize our environment and instruction to allow our students optimal time to learn about, 'try out', and practice their language.  Fountas and Pinnell talk about young children really not distinguishing any difference between playing, reading, and writing.  They are always curious which leads them to discovery and learning. (p. 22)  So...how to continue to support that essence of 'play' to provide opportunities for our 5 and 6 year olds to be excited about what they are doing while they grow as readers, writers, and thinkers?! I'm starting to make lists of centers that will facilitate that thinking. Georgia Heard's book, A Place for Wonder, is one of the best I've read to help you think about how to continue to engage kids as 'wonderers'. Of course the first center on my list is the Wonder Center.  So far I've also included: writing (thank you Katie Wood Ray and Matt Glover), books (making, reading, writing, sharing), imaginative play, art & music, and... still thinking! 


I will continue to post often as my thinking grows toward K and would love any input to help me keep moving my thinking forward!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Pam,

    I just came across your blog as I was changing passwords on Twitter. Congrats on teaching K next year! You might also want to check out a really great article on supporting play by Bodrova and Leong (Tools of the Mind) that was in the January issue of Young Children (published by NAEYC). I am using it for a breakout session at our PreK/K Institute in a few weeks. We're going to be thinking both about how dramatic play supports literacy development as well as how you can use literacy teaching to support children's socio-dramatic play. It would be great to talk with you sometime soon about kindergarten!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete